In this article, we shall learn, how do the Emphatic and Reciprocal Pronoun function. We shall also see some examples to bring more clarity.
We use Emphatic pronouns to emphasize a noun. The most noticeable characteristic of this pronoun is. If it is eliminated from a sentence, there is no impact on the grammar.
|With emphatic||Without emphatic|
|I myself saw him||I saw him|
|She herself cooked||She cooked|
|John himself came here||John came here|
|She herself is guilty||She is guilty|
|They themselves are late||They are late|
Some advanced structures
- I was watching TV
- She passed through the forest
Remark:- By oneself = alone.
Reciprocal pronouns refer to persons or things that are acting on each other.
There are only two reciprocal pronouns.
- Each other :- we use it for two.
- One another :- we use for more than two.
- The two brothers loved each other.
- We should all love one another.
- He and I looked at each other.
- The five men shouted at one another.
- The couple spoke to each other.
- All of them hate one another.
We use it to express strong emotion.
- What! You do not know her?
- What! She has got a new car?
- And, What! John has got mad?
Emphatic and Reciprocal Pronoun, Emphatic and Reciprocal Pronoun